Biktarvy Medication Uses and Dosage
What is Biktarvy (Bictegravir/Emtricitabine/Tenofovir alafenamide)?
Biktarvy Medication Uses and Dosage. Biktarvy is one of the most effective antiretroviral drugs to use. It stops the virus from multiplying within the body. Besides this function, it helps the body’s immune system fight off the infection and keeps it healthy and functional.
Like other antiretroviral drugs, Biktarvy is also a mixture of different medicines. These are:
These medicines work together in preventing AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) from developing.
What is it used for?
This medicine is a good option in providing medical therapy to individuals with HIV. It decreases the number of viruses present in the body. It prevents opportunistic infections from emerging. It helps the body recover and strengthens the immune system to continue its function.
Biktarvy is suitable for consumption in adults and children. However, weight plays a significant role in recommending this medicine to pediatrics. The normal weight needed for pediatrics is around 14 kgs. If they do not qualify for the criteria set for Biktarvy treatment, they will need to follow another antiretroviral therapy.
How does it work?
As mentioned, this medicine has three main components. They include Bictegravir, Emtricitabine, and Tenofovir. These drugs are a part of the medicinal classification, which you will learn here.
- Bictegravir – This drug is an integrase inhibitor. Its primary function is to prevent a certain enzyme (integrase) from helping HIV to replicate.
- Emtricitabine – This drug is a form of a nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI). When you consume this drug, it immediately blocks HIV from multiplying. It is available under the brand name Emtriva.
- Tenofovir – This drug reduces the risk of HIV-related complications. It is also a nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor. You can purchase this drug under the trade name Viread.
The combination of these three effective drugs helps in treating HIV. The administration of Biktarvy needs precision. In other words, an individual who will consume it needs to follow the dosage and prescription from the healthcare professional.
Like other antiretroviral drugs, Biktarvy treatment follows a strict dosage and detailed prescription. Before receiving or starting your Biktarvy treatment, the healthcare professional will need to check on some essential factors. These are as follows:
- Age and body weight
- Medical history of the patient
- Other forms of treatment that the patient is currently taking
Here is the dosage for adults:
- One tablet of Biktarvy containing 50 mg of Bictegravir, 200 mg of Emtricitabine, and 25 mg of Tenofovir
- Daily consumption is necessary
Here is the dosage for children or pediatrics:
- One tablet of Biktarvy containing 30 mg of Bictegravir, 120 mg of Emtricitabine, and 15 mg of Tenofovir (specifically for pediatrics weighing 14 kgs)
- One tablet of Biktarvy containing 50 mg of Bictegravir, 200 mg of Emtricitabine, and 25 mg of Tenofovir (specifically for pediatrics weighing 25 kgs)
- Daily consumption is necessary.
You can check Biktarvy cost at our store!
One of the reasons why it is necessary to disclose if you are currently taking another form of treatment is to prevent drug interactions. As you inform your healthcare professional about this, they will adjust your prescription and dosage. Note that Drug interactions can cause your Biktarvy treatment to become less effective.
How to take this medication?
Always follow the prescription once you start your treatment with Biktarvy. A leaflet is also available with the product that you can follow for the full duration of your therapy.
You can consume this medicine with or without your meals. However, it is advisable to take it with food to avoid stomachaches. Always drink water after taking it.
For pediatrics who cannot swallow one full dose, you can split the tablet into two and have them consume it separately within ten minutes interval.
During your treatment with Biktarvy, it is easier to set the alarm or any tool that will remind you of your dose for the day. Doing so will prevent you from skipping a dose.
Also read: Biktarvy Side Effects
Warnings and Precautions
Be honest with your healthcare professional. As mentioned, drug interactions are possible if you do not disclose your underlying health conditions and other medication routine.
Side effects from overdose is likely to happen if you take more of this medicine without asking your healthcare professional first. This includes dosage adjustment. Only adjust your daily dose if you receive approval from your healthcare professional.
If you have liver disease and kidney infection history, you must still inform your healthcare professional. There is a chance that the treatment will affect your internal organs. Furthermore, it is also necessary to inform if you are pregnant. This is to ensure that the medicine will not affect your pregnancy and the baby.