Efavirenz (Sustiva): Uses, Dosage and Side Effects
What is Efavirenz (Sustiva)?
Popularly known by its brand name Sustiva, Efavirenz is classified as another form of antiretroviral medicine utilized in providing medical aid to people under the infection of the human immunodeficiency virus. Usually, in order to treat the illness more effectively, this medicine is partnered with other types. Careful consumption of this medicine is necessary to avoid experiencing more health complications and adverse reactions while on the treatment.
How does this drug work?
Alongside different classes of drugs, Efavirenz or Sustiva belong to a group classification known as non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs). These kinds of drugs work better in preventing the spread of the virus in the entire body. It works by inhibiting a particular enzyme which HIV needs to replicate and cause more infection all throughout the human body. It stops the increase of the amount of virus that is lurking in the bloodstream.
Uses of Efavirenz
The following includes the different uses of Efavirenz in dealing with the life-threatening medical condition of HIV. Consider the list below:
- Manages the growth of the virus inside the body
- Controls the increase, thereby decreasing the infection rate
- An effective antiretroviral drug in providing medical relief to infected individuals
- Prevents one’s chances of acquiring more health complications and medical concerns
- Boosts the body’s immune system
While using this medicine, it is a requirement to use protective sex barriers during intercourse. Keeping yourself safe is also reducing the risk of transmission and infection. Always follow what your medical professional has advised you to do.
Typically, adults are the ones given this prescription medicine. However, before starting their treatment, there are certain specifics that a doctor usually checks and examines beforehand. These are the following:
- Weight and age of the patients at present
- Medical history (any type of disease before being diagnosed with the illness)
- Different forms of medicines that the patient is currently taking
All these specifics should be considered first to make sure that it is safe for them to consume Efavirenz.
- The usual dosage is 600 mg of Efavirenz, which needs to be consumed on a daily basis. Note that this is not the type of medicine that you will only take if attacks or symptoms occur. It must be taken every single day.
- It is also best if you consume this medicine without food. Ingesting it with food can increase the concentration, which causes severe adverse reactions.
- As mentioned, Efavirenz can be consumed with other drugs. For this instance, it is best partnered with Voriconazole.
Maintain your dosage every day. Do not skip doses as it can affect the treatment process. Furthermore, always rely on the prescription and follow the directions written on it.
How to take it?
As mentioned, you can ingest this medicine the same way you do with your previous medications. However, it must be done on a daily basis. The frequency of this medicine consumption is at least once a day, making it simpler and easier to follow your treatment. Additionally, try not to forget your dose for the day. If you missed out on a single dose, make sure that you drink one immediately. However, if it is time for your next dose, do not ingest your missed dose. Simply move on to your next dose.
Finally, do not attempt to break or chew your medicine. Make sure that you swallow or ingest it whole with water.
Warning and Precautions
Your medical professional will discuss health-related matters once you are diagnosed with the illness. This is also to provide you awareness of what to expect during the treatment. Some of the discussions will include the warning and precautions on or before the treatment process. Here are the following:
- Prior to obtaining a prescription label, speak with your medical professional if you are taking other drugs. This also includes your probability of having an allergy or hypersensitivity to Efavirenz. Always remember that hypersensitivity can be fatal.
- You will also likely experience different side effects. Your medical professional will educate you on how to manage these reactions and when to call when immediate care is needed.
- Usually, the liver and kidney are the organs that will likely get most of the side effects. Be aware of the symptoms involving liver and kidney concerns and report them to your medical provider immediately.
- Do not overdose. Only ingest what you need to ingest for your daily dose. Overdosage can be fatal. Add to that the health complications you will have to undergo.
- Drug interactions are a possibility to any form of treatment. If this occurs to you, contact your medical provider immediately. This is also one of the reasons why you need to tell your medical provider of other drugs you take before being diagnosed with the infection.
When you start your Efavirenz treatment, you will experience different side effects. Before starting your treatment, you will be advised of the possibility of experiencing these reactions. Consider the following:
Common Side Effects:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Having unusual dreams
- Difficulty concentrating
Severe Side Effects:
- Psychological or mental disorder
- Change in mood
- Suicidal thoughts
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe drowsiness and dizziness
- Severe headache
Some of these side effects will not last long. However, if these persist, you must call your medical provider immediately and receive the proper medical care.
Take advantage of the information provided here. Always talk with your healthcare professional if you will receive this therapy or treatment involving Efavirenz. If you are tested, and the result is positive, obtain immediate treatment. However, if you are negative, always remember to be safe when engaging in sexual activity.
You can check Efavirenz (Sustiva) cost at kangaroo.co!