Isentress (Raltegravir): Uses and Dosage
What is Isentress (Raltegravir)?
As the human immunodeficiency virus impairs the body’s immune system, different health complications are likely to emerge. This condition calls for the need to consume an antiretroviral drug that has huge benefits in treating someone with the infection. While it is still early, HIV must be inhibited from progressing to AIDS or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. This severe phase of the infection does not only worsen the condition but also enables different opportunistic infection and causes more harm to the body.
One of the major antiretroviral drugs used for this medical treatment is Isentress. Alongside other medicines utilized for HIV treatment, this medicine is highly capable of diminishing the load or volume of HIV that is present in the blood. Once consumed, Isentress will immediately function by making sure that the viruses will stop their virulence throughout the body. Just like other antiretroviral drugs, it provides enough immunity to infected individuals, eventually allowing them to live longer, similar to normal people.
How does it work?
Also known by its generic name Raltegravir, Isentress works by inhibiting or blocking the protein integrase that HIV needs to multiply its population inside the body. As Isentress is consumed, there is a high probability that the volume of viral concentration in bodily fluids become low, making it inactive and not totally infectious. Since there isn’t a cure yet, this antiretroviral drug is a breakthrough alternative that everyone can take advantage of.
By consuming this medicine, it becomes impossible for someone to develop the most severe stage of the infection – AIDS. Raltegravir blocks further complications that can easily impair and damage the already frail body. As long Isentress is consumed properly, and the prescription is followed accordingly, there will be no problem during the treatment process.
Uses of Isentress
With regards to the different uses of Isentress, the following list best explains how this medicine operates inside the body. Learn how Raltegravir helps the body from being frail to healthy.
- Isentress is the kind of medicine that can be utilized with other medications for HIV treatment.
- It diminishes the viral load or volume in the blood
- It prevents the infection from progressing to AIDS
- It reduces and lessens other HIV complications, which could include cancer and other bodily infections
- It assists the body’s immune system to function better and more competitively
- Raltegravir prevents the surge of HIV transmission rate.
Careful consumption of this medicine is necessary to make sure that the treatment goes well and becomes successful. With your healthcare professionals’ guidance and advice, you can never go wrong during your HIV treatment. Stay cautious and follow your medications strictly.
Strength and Dosage:
Prior to receiving a prescription, there are different aspects or medical factors that a healthcare professional looks into and examines. These factors help the professional to better provide an accurate prescription to hand over to HIV patients. These are as follows:
- Present age and weight
- Medical history (including the past diseases and past medications)
- Allergy or hypersensitivity to different medicines
- Forms or names of drugs that a patient is taking at present
As for the consumption, note that Isentress has three different forms:
- Tablet (400 mg)
- Chewable tablets (25 – 100 mg)
- Powder (100 mg)
Dosage for Adults:
- For newly diagnosed individuals, the required or suggested dose is about two tablets of Isentress containing 600 mg. It must be consumed once on a daily basis.
- For those who have been observing maintenance dosage, the required amount is only 400 mg, to be consumed twice on a daily basis.
Dosage for Children:
- For children weighing 25 kg and above, the suggested dosage is 400 mg, to be consumed twice on a daily basis.
- For children weighing 40 kg and above, the suggested dosage is 600 mg, to be consumed twice on a daily basis.
Overdose is likely to occur if the prescription label isn’t followed and the amount of medicine consumed exceeds the recommended dose. There are certain adverse reactions that you will likely experience once you fail to follow the instructions provided by your healthcare professional. Some of these reactions may include:
- Severe diarrhea
- Trouble sleeping
- Pain in the stomach
- Recurrent heartburn
When you experience these reactions, it could be a sign of overdose. When an overdose occurs, immediately seek medical aid as the reactions above can be more severe. During your treatment, it is always a must to comply with the directives laid on you. This way, you will have a smooth journey to recovery, and your treatment becomes progressive and fruitful.
Correlative to other antiretroviral drugs, consuming Isentress can also lead to drug interactions. But how does this happen? If you are taking more than one medicine, most especially if you are diagnosed with other diseases, drug interactions can possibly occur, which may cause other medicines to become ineffective. Isentress is not an exemption.
This is why speaking with your healthcare professional about other medicines you are consuming at present is a must. While on Raltegravir treatment, either of the medicines can become less effective, making it more difficult to treat the disease/s. To avoid such an occurrence, submit the list of the medicines and let the healthcare professional resolve this concern.
As mentioned, Isentress can be consumed with other medicines for HIV. This way, the body becomes strong enough in combating the said infection, making way for the immune system to do its job.
Precautions and Warnings
Observing precautionary measures helps in preventing the risks of consuming this medicine. With the help of these guidelines, you can expect to have a smooth and safe Isentress treatment.
- First, you need to speak with your doctor about your condition or status involving Raltegravir consumption. It includes possible hypersensitivity or allergy to this medicine.
- For pregnant women, discuss your pregnancy first with the healthcare professional as this medicine can be harmful to you and your unborn baby.
- For breastfeeding mothers, avoid Isentress consumption. It has a bigger risk to you and your child.
- For dosage adjustment, only the doctor can provide you with another set of detailed prescriptions. Avoid changing your initial dose unless directed by the healthcare professional.
You can check Isentress prices at kangaroo.co