Prezista (Darunavir): Uses, Dosage and Side Effects
What is Prezista (Darunavir)?
Also recognized by its generic name Darunavir, Prezista refers to a form of antiretroviral drug utilized in administering medical care to individuals who have been dealing with the hostile effects of the human immunodeficiency virus. Correlative to other ARVs or antiretrovirals, this type of drug helps the body recover from the life-threatening impact of HIV. Its main objective is to provide the body’s immune system with the kind of support it needs to combat and withstand the infection caused by the virus.
How to Use
Despite the fact that there isn’t a cure yet for the said infection, Prezista includes different uses that someone can take advantage of during treatment. These medical benefits are highly capable of prolonging an individual’s lifespan and still live normally and healthily. These benefits include:
- It guarantees a remarkable decrease in the viral population within the whole-body system.
- It supports the body’s immune system by functioning more effectively.
- It reduces an individual’s chance of getting more medical complications.
- It lessens the transmission of the virus from one person to another.
- It inhibits the progress of the virus to its advanced stage, being AIDS.
In consuming this medicine, one factor needs to be followed. This factor includes the association of other antiretroviral drugs during Prezista consumption to boost its performance in treating the said illness. Other than that, a regular check-up with the healthcare professional will further help the individual in his/her journey to recovery.
Alongside other medicines, there are certain factors that a healthcare professional follows to make a concrete medical prescription. These factors are as follows:
- The patient’s age and weight at present
- Past medical concerns of the patient
- Other forms of drugs consumed before HIV diagnosis
As has been mentioned, Prezista is given and consumed with other antiretroviral drugs to boost its medical properties. Some of these are the following:
- Ritonavir (with 100 mg as its usual dose)
Consumed together, all the benefits you can get from the combined medicines will take effect and help an individual in his/her journey towards an undetectable status.
Dosage for Adults:
- The common dosage given for adults is only 800 mg of Prezista plus the added consumption of 100 mg of Ritonavir. Other than Ritonavir, Prezista or Darunavir can also be partnered with Cobicistat.
- These drugs must be consumed once only on a daily basis.
Dosage for Children:
- The usual dosage for children will depend on their weight. Darunavir is still available for children who are 3 years old but not exceeding 18 years of age.
- The inclusion of weight is necessary for the dosage given for children as it identifies the amount or number of tablets they need to consume in a week or a month.
It is always a must that the daily dosage needs to be consumed. Strict compliance to the prescription will help in the treatment process and assist an infected individual in their condition.
How to take it?
Similar to other antiretrovirals available today, Prezista is ingested with or without food. However, the best time to consume the tablet, as well as other ARV to consume it with, is during mealtime. It will enable full absorption of the drug, making it easier also for its properties to begin their function in treating the illness. Taking it with food will also avoid episodes of stomach aches.
Do not try breaking or chewing the medicine as it can become ineffective. Furthermore, drink water right after ingesting the medicine to help the body in taking all its medical benefits. In case you have the tendency to forget a single dose or miss your daily dose, it is advisable to turn your alarm on as always to get notified that it’s time to consume the medicine.
Prezista Side Effects
Prezista also has many adverse reactions once you start consuming this medicine. Some of these reactions are categorized as common and hostile. Learn the different side effects of Darunavir and discover how you will manage each effect and when to call the doctor when the body isn’t able to handle these reactions. These are as follows:
Most Common Side Effects:
The following list is the type of side effects that do not call for immediate medical care. You can always manage these reactions at home.
- Runny nose
- Rapid weight gain
- Loss of strength
- Skin rashes
Severe Side Effects:
If there are common side effects, you should also be aware of the most severe adverse reactions following Prezista consumption. Note that these are the types of reactions that need immediate medical care. Consider the following:
- Severe headache
- Chest pain
- Severe diarrhea
- Difficulty breathing
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and skin)
- Blurry vision
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unexplained tiredness
- Extreme weakness
- Difficulty moving
- Pain in the muscles