Ritonavir (Norvir) Uses and Dosage
What is Ritonavir (Norvir)?
Popularly known by its brand name Norvir, Ritonavir is another form of antiretroviral medicine administered to individuals who have been diagnosed and suffering from the gloomy effects of an illness known as the human immunodeficiency virus. Correlative to other medicines utilized for treating the said illness, Ritonavir also operates by diminishing loads of HIV present in the body. It assists the immune system in fighting the infection, which also defends the entire body system from acquiring other health complications caused by the virus. Once diagnosed and Ritonavir treatment has begun, recovery is very likely to happen.
Uses of Ritonavir
Although not recognized as a cure, Ritonavir has health benefits that an infected individual can take advantage of. There are a lot of ARVs or antiretroviral drugs that are accessible in the market that people can use if only they are given a prescription from a physician. The following are the advantages that an individual can get in consuming Ritonavir.
- ensures that the volume of viruses present in the body will be reduced.
- functions by acting as a support system to the body’s immunity as it fights off the infection.
- reduces an individual’s risk of acquiring more medical problems.
- impairs HIV’s ability to spread and multiply.
- prevents the illness from advancing to its higher stage – AIDS.
All the mentioned advantages will take effect if only an individual follows what the physician has asked him/her to do. It involves the strict observance of the given prescription. It contains all the directives, as well as the right frequency of Norvir to consume in a day. Following the physician’s advice and directives will help in the treatment journey of an HIV-positive person.
Before the dosage is provided, a physician will need to examine the individual’s condition first. The examination will include the assessment of different factors to ensure that the physician will make an accurate prescription for the patient to follow. Consider these factors below:
- Weight and age
- Medical history
- Other medicines that the patient is consuming at present
Similar to other ARVs, Ritonavir also observes the rule of antiretroviral therapy. It involves other types of antiretroviral drugs to be consumed with Ritonavir (the major prescribed medicine). The supplementary drug will depend on your condition, which also needs to be suitable for Norvir treatment. This way, it becomes simpler for an individual to deal with their situation.
Dosage for Adults:
- The usual dosage given for adults is only 300 mg to be consumed twice on a daily basis. It is only the initial dose for those who have just started their treatment.
- For the maintenance dosage, it will become 600 mg to be consumed twice on a daily basis.
- Ritonavir must be ingested with other ARVs to get the full benefits of the medicine. Note that this HIV medication is sometimes used as an enhancer or booster to other major ARVs.
Dosage for Children:
- Aside from the availability of the tablet form of Ritonavir, an oral solution of the same medicine is also accessible for children and pediatrics alike. Since they can’t take a whole tablet yet, the solution form of Ritonavir is usable.
- The usual dosage given for children is only 250 mg/m2 to be consumed twice on a daily basis. It is only the initial dose for those who have just started their treatment.
- For the maintenance dosage, it will become 350 – 400 mg/m2 to be consumed twice on a daily basis.
- The drug must be ingested with other ARVs to get the full benefits of the medicine. Note that Ritonavir is sometimes used as an enhancer or booster to other major ARVs.
Since the prescription contains the main dosage to follow on a daily basis, it must be strictly observed for an individual to get a fast recovery. It plays a very significant role in the treatment process.
How to take it?
Consuming Ritonavir is just like taking a normal medicine for other illnesses. With the availability of two forms, it becomes easier for the medicine to consume. It is important not to break or chew the tablet as it is not advisable. For the oral suspension, make sure that all the solutions are consumed. Ingesting this medicine with food and water are the best ways to take Norvir.
While there are instances that a person forgets his/her dose for the day, it might still affect the treatment process. The smartest way to resolve this is to set the alarm or anything that can notify you of the time when you need to consume your daily dose. By doing this simple step, you are already helping your body recover and defend itself from the hostile impact of HIV. Always follow what your physician has advised you to do, and you will live a longer and more quality life.
You can check Norvir prices at kangaroo.co!