Viread Vs. Vemlidy
Viread Vs. Vemlidy. Following the development in the so-called antiretroviral therapy, several drugs have been introduced to fight against infections, such as HBV (hepatitis B virus) and HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Two of the major drugs utilized for the said infections are Viread and Vemlidy. While these medicines are considered similar in terms of their functions and properties, they still have big differences that you need to know. Consider the details below.
- Viread is an antiretroviral drug used in providing medical therapy to individuals with chronic hepatitis B. It is suitable for children and adults. Aside from hepatitis B, its main function is also for administering the right treatment against HIV. This drug helps in inhibiting HIV or HBV from increasing their population inside the body. Its generic name is tenofovir disoproxil.
- Vemlidy, on the other hand, is also an antiretroviral drug utilized in treating chronic hepatitis B. It assists individuals to boost their liver health as hepatitis B induces liver disease. The said drug is not applicable for HIV treatment. Its generic name is tenofovir alafenamide.
Precautions and Warnings
- Alongside other antiretroviral medicines, Viread also follows a set of precautionary measures. To ensure that this drug is safe for consumption, patients must disclose their medical history to their healthcare professional. A discussion is needed if the patient has a history of liver damage, kidney problems, or even HIV.
- Meanwhile, for Vemlidy, the same rule that Viread follows also applies to this medicine. Ensuring that this drug is totally harmless to swallow is a necessary factor for individuals with hepatitis B. Again, if an individual has a history of kidney disease, liver problems, and HIV, must discuss this treatment option with their healthcare professional.
- Viread comes in two forms, such as tablet and oral powder. The dosage varies depending on the weight of the patient; however, the frequency of drug consumption is only once per day. The patient is also free to consume this drug with or without food.
- For Vemlidy, it only comes in a tablet form. Its dosage is only 25 mg of Vemlidy to be consumed on a daily basis. Just like other drugs, there are certain factors that a healthcare professional considers. These factors may include the patient’s weight, age, and medical history. These factors also apply to Viread treatment.
- Drug interaction is possible with Viread treatment. Some of the drugs or medicines that interact with the said ARV are arthritis medications, methotrexate, and lithium.
- Meanwhile, for Vemlidy, drugs that interact with this medicine include ledipasvir, sertraline, sofosbuvir, midazolam, norgestimate, St. John’s wort, and Ethinyl estradiol.
Side Effects/Adverse Reactions
The adverse reactions of Viread include:
- sleeping problems
Viread (Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate) Side Effects
The adverse reactions of Vemlidy include:
- pain in the abdomen
- pain in the back
Note: The healthcare professional will prescribe you a medicine that fits your lifestyle and how your body reacts to the medicine. Always follow your prescription and help your immune system fight against the aforementioned infections.